Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Judge of Elections

It's the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November today, which means that it is time for another general election in the United States. It's not a presidential or regular congressional election, but many other important positions are on the ballot, including municipal officials and judges, which (for better or worse) are typically elected in Pennsylvania. Alas, with my class schedule this year, I'm not able to resume my position that I had in previous elections as judge of elections, checking people in to vote, so I suppose from here on out I shall be forced to list on my résumé "Judge, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania (retired)."

As a law student, I take an especial interest in these elections, both in general and in accordance with the principle that "a good lawyer knows the law, a great lawyer knows the judge." I extend that aphorism and say that "a fortiori, that "the best lawyer got the judge elected."

Browsing again the Book of Common Prayer and its section on various Prayers and Thanksgivings, I found this prayer for Courts of Justice on page 821:
Almighty God, who sittest in the throne judging right: We humbly beseech thee to bless the courts of justice and the magistrates in all this land; and give unto them the spirit of wisdom and understanding, that they may discern the truth, and impartially administer the law in the fear of thee alone; through him who shall come to be our Judge, thy Son our Savior Jesus Christ. Amen.
And I shall again repeat the petition for an Election, from page 822:
Almighty God, to whom we must account for all our powers and privileges: Guide the people of the United States (or of this community) in the election of officials and representatives; that, by faithful administration and wise laws, the rights of all may be protected and our nation be enabled to fulfill your purposes; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home