Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Ugh

I'm listening to WBUR's stream of Scott Brown's acceptance speech. A couple things:

  • This crowd will chant anything.
  • What was up with him talking about his daughters--"They're both available!"
  • Quoting John Kennedy about lowering taxes--not mentioning that they had been at 90 percent--to pay for World War II.
  • Brown says it's a good idea to deny the right to a lawyer to to accused terrorists. Good thing nobody is ever accused falsely, right, Gerald Amirault?
I love a road trip as much as the next guy, and I kind of wish I had gone to Massachusetts in person for GOTV, but I ultimately did the next best thing from here in town. I made a bunch of calls to the 508, 978, 781, 857 and 617 area codes in the past few days--probably 25 on Friday, 200 yesterday and 250 today, both from home and from the Pittsburgh OFA office. I'll be back down there again, for sure.

Anyway, it's a disappointing night for Democrats, and hopefully does not portend too badly for elections later this year. Until then, it's time to make Republicans actually filibuster legislation, not just threaten it--reading the phone book, no bathroom breaks, the works. Failing that--let's reconcile that mess.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home