Monday, May 25, 2009

Memes this week

The Yale thing has been big the last few days but I can't seem to get away from some other topics:
  1. Pirates hats! People are wearing Pittsburgh Pirates baseball caps all out of proportion to what I perceive to be the logical distribution. I saw at least three in Philadelphia and four in New York City, mostly on the street or on public transit, and I'm pretty sure one guy in New Haven had one on that I saw earlier tonight.
  2. Pregnancy! I couldn't turn around this week without seeing someone's baby bump. (Do people still use that term?) It just seems that two weeks ago, I wasn't seeing any expectant mothers and now every other woman is anticipating such a blessed event. What's going on here?
  3. People asking me for directions! I'm really flattered that people would think I'm competent and knowledgeable--I get it--but then they ask me "Is this the westbound blue line?" or "Where's Giovanni's?" Or, "Did you just make up that tenor line?" (in an appreciative/admiring, not sarcastic tone). But seriously, I'm not from around here, and if I know where your thing is, you're just lucky that I had just seen it while I was walking around the neighborhood. And/or can read the signs in front of us both.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home