Monday, January 26, 2009

Drama at Burger King

Scene: Burger King, Whalley Avenue, New Haven, Tuesday, January 13, around 6:30 p.m.

[Enter Ian, Paul and Sarah. Sarah, a vegetarian, is snacking on a bag of carrots she just bought at the grocery store.]

Homeless guy, for some reason allowed by BK management to engage with customers. Hey guys, my name is Sam. [unintelligible]
Ian. Hi, Sam!
Sam. [unintelligible] ... and today's my birthday.
Ian. Today's your birthday? Happy birthday! How old are you?
Sam. Um, uh... [unintelligible] ...uh, 48.
Ian. Forty-eight! That's getting near fifty.
Sam. Uh, yeah.
Ian. I'm going to go over here and place my order now.

Meanwhile, stage right:

Other customer. [to Sarah] You tryin' to make everybody feel guilty?
Sarah. Uh?
Other customer. With the carrots, eating healthy, you know.
Sarah. Um, not really, just snacking. I'm a vegetarian. You want some carrots?
Other customer. Sure, I guess so. Thanks.

[Other customer spots Ian's Obama '08 fleece.]

Other customer. Hey man! Obama!
Ian. Hey yeah! Yes we can! Yes we did!
Other customer. That's what I'm talkin' about! You have a good night.
Ian. You too!

[Other customer exits. Paul and Ian get their food, then they and Sarah step outside on the way to Paul's car.]

Sarah. That was possibly the most surreal thing that's ever happened to me.

[Exeunt omnes.]

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home