Sunday, February 10, 2008

The great Ian robbery

Before you ask: I'm fine. A little shaken and down one camera but fine.

I was walking from the Hotel Guadalupe II in Tegucigalpa to the Peace Corps office and I had my fairly new digital camera in my hand. I was crossing the street behind the Peace Corps office in front of the Apostolic Nunciature (Vatican Embassy) and this guy came up to me from my left. I thought he was going to ask me a question, but pulled a handgun out of his shirt and moved to my right to grab the camera out of my right hand. He kept moving and hopped on the back of a motorcycle driven by and accomplice and sped away. It was over before it even started.

So that put a damper on my day, and it was a further pain to find a police station to file a report, and I then had a 7.5 hour bus ride to look forward to. But I wasn't hurt and didn't lose any of the many items in my great big backpack, and I was still covered for most of the value of the camera under American Express' Purchase Protection Plan.


So that was a bummer but I do hope it's the worst that ever befalls me. After 20 months, I would say I've had a great run of luck and this was not a case of it running out, but just running thin.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Hellen 起帆 said...

glad you survived the gun point encounter. suppose there are many more to follow in this long life. better to learn some martial arts kicks.

10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home