Monday, January 07, 2008

Trip roundup

Briefly--

After New York, we bounced around the Mid-Atlantic region, starting in Baltimore-Washington and then migrating to Delaware. On Christmas Eve, we went to both the 5 p.m. at Brown Memorial Presbyterian in Baltimore, home of a ton of Tiffany stained glass windows. A family friend is the music director there and we actually sang in the choir--my first appearance in a robe in a while.

Then we rode the mighty I-95 down to Washington for the awesome, ticket-only 10 p.m. at the National Cathedral. It was great but no surprise to anyone who's familiar with the quality of their liturgies. This was my first visit there since they completed their new parking garage. Structured parking, I know from my time on the Rice University Parking Committee, is unbelievably expensive, and underground parking much more so than an above-ground garage, so driving under the depths of the cathedral close I was impressed at the scope of it. Clearly, at the NatCat they are subscribers to the theory of "If something is worth doing, it's worth doing right."

[A photo of the garage's elevator lobby--built itself on a cathedral scale--will be forthcoming.]

On Christmas Day proper, the family made its way over to my uncle's house in Delaware to exchange gifts and all that. We stuck around until December 27 for the memorial service for my grandfather at First Presbyterian in Smyrna, after which there was a reception and a long drive to Chapel Hill.

New Year's was fun in Chapel Hill, as my brother and some friends resurrected the long-dormant potato cannons my dad's cousin gave us a few years ago, so we rang in 2008 with some blanks, igniting bug spray into the night sky. Then I scrambled to try to get done all my shopping, and then before I knew it (as we might have heard in Little Italy, bada-bing, bada-boom) my three week visit home was over.

Now for the final stretch in Honduras! Sometimes I feel it'll be a sprint, other times a marathon. Eight months isn't that long, is it? (To quote a Mormon missionary some PCV overheard a while back, the days are like weeks but the weeks are like days.)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home