Monday, January 21, 2008

Final thoughts on Vacation II

Fun times also included some where my dad misheard "car" for "cat" in conversation as we were driving along, and for the next half hour we had a laugh riot substituting the two words in every sign along US Route 13 in Delaware: "Cat wash." "Used cat dealership." And so forth.

Also, Davis, one of Ted's buddies, said "I wish coffins could tessellate," referring, I imagine, rather, to the irregular hexagonal shape of coffins, particularly as seen in old vampire movies. That was a moment of great hilarity.

Also, in Trader Joe's on December 28, I saw a guy who looked a lot like Paul David Hewson (aka Bono). He even had the glasses on indoors. I was going to take a picture of him with my camera phone but then I chickened out and didn't. I will, hopefully, be able to post a picture of a guy from San Manuel to whom I refer mentally as the "Bono of San Manuel." They don't have a lot in common, but he does always does wear sunglasses (every time I've seen him, at least) and, given the chance, he would no doubt wax rhapsodic on the need for fair trade for Africa to world leaders.

Also also, I thought it was really bizarre in Miami airport when everybody was speaking in Spanish around me. More strangely, I would speak in Spanish to them and I wouldn't get the "Wow, the gringo speaks Spanish" looks I might get in other parts of the world. One of the convenience stores was impossibly maddening because nothing was labeled with its price. I found the manager and asked her why nothing (candy, snacks, etc.) had its price beneath it, as you would find in every other store in the United States. She replied that you just had to ask one of the sales people because they knew all the prices. "But I don't want to ask about every stupid item, I just want to see the price and make an instant decision" I insisted, but she seemed to think the "just ask a cashier" was a satisfactory policy. It was like I was back in some pulpería in rural Honduras again, except here there were a zillion items and instead of me being the only person there, it was crowded and the cashier was fairly busy. The experience was more frustrating than it probably needed to be.

And again, until next time, take care of yourself, and each other.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home