Friday, April 13, 2007

No flatline on the IDL

Back after my flight to Tokyo, I wrote about the weirdness that is the International Date Line. (Bill Bryson writes about it as well in his In a Sunburned Country, a hilarious account of his travels in Australia; though as I look at it now, I do take issue that he treats the past participle of a derivative verb of "to burn" as regular, rather than "Sunburnt.")

Anyway, let me tell you that crossing back to "La Usa" (as it is sometimes known in Honduras) from Japan is weird, time speaking. Here's how my day was (has been so far):

7:00 a.m.: Wake up
8:45 a.m.: Have breakfast at our airport hotel.
11:30 a.m.: Flight AA 176 leaves Tokyo Narita airport.
8:15 a.m.: Have breakfast on the plane.
9:00 a.m.: Arrive at DFW airport.
12:25 p.m.: Flight leaves DFW for IAH (if I don't sit in this lounge too long and miss it).

I also had two sunrises today. The sun did what it is known for doing in Japan while I was lounging in bed, then our plane flew into the darkness and emerged from it again about 800 miles east of San Francisco, when we came into the daylight once again.

Two sunrises in the same day! The same day! And two breakfasts! Although I have done that before. For me, today will have been 38 hours long! (The regular 24 plus the 14-hour difference between Japan time and CDT; please also note the use of the future perfect.) Even if it is Friday the 13th. (I think if I were doing this again, I might not choose to extend my day by 58% on an unlucky day. Then again, I might just.)

My dad maintains that it's not really the same, and he has, on occasion, been right about various things in the past. (Full disclosure: more than just on occasion.) But right or wrong, truthiness dictates that it was in fact just one day, and no weirdness about the IDL will dissuade me.

And while I'm thinking of truthiness, Beer-Bike! I am biking tomorrow! How awesome is that! I can't stop using exclamation points! Again!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home