Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Dateline: International

They used to say that "The sun never sets on the British Empire," and with outposts like Bermuda, the Falklands and Diego Garcia, I suppose it's still true. For about 24 hours yesterday (was it just yesterday?) I was living the British Empire experience, in sunlight from 6:00 a.m. Monday morning (Central Daylight Time) until 7:30 or so Tuesday night (Japan Standard Time; 5:30 a.m. Tuesday CDT), flying first from Houston to Dallas and then onward to Tokyo. Alas, I couldn't see much out the plane window--it was cloudy over almost the entire route--but got to look over some of the Canadian and Alaskan Rockies.

I've been trying to wrap my head around the International Date Line (metaphorically) and though I thought I understood it, it is confusing in practice. Long story short, this is going to be the shortest Holy Week ever, and for me, Lent will have had only 39 days, or something like that.

Anyway, I was pleased with myself that for my first 20 hours in Japan I was able to remain relatively awake, defeating jet lag as it were, but this afternoon when returning to my hotel room, it fell down on me like a ton of bricks, and I had a serious siesta. Turns out I'm not immune to 14-hour time zone shifts, but I am pleasantly surprised with my level of functionality. Let's see how long this lasts.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home