Friday, March 30, 2007

Musings on life in the United States

  1. I know when I left in June, a lot of people had iPods, myself included. But you can't swing a cat on the Rice campus without seeing someone with white wires flowing down from his or her ears to a pocket or purse. I've got to get to the Apple store ASAP so I can roll around campus with my awesome 30GB Fifth Generation iPod.
  2. I remember when reading this posting that I was thinking "wow, I will never do that," with respect to brushing teeth and tap water. But not only have I thought it while watching TV in Honduras but here in Houston I was doubting if it was really the right thing to do to use the water straight from the tap to brush my teeth last night. I passed the "eight hour test" (no diarrhea or vomiting) so I guess it was the right thing to do.
  3. I love being busy with interesting things to do. Today (er, yesterday; Thursday, March 29) I (1) went to a class, (2) attended a demonstration of Windows Vista, (3) went to a talk by the lawyer who argued and won the landmark Roe vs. Wade case in the U.S. Supreme Court, (4) crashed the Rice Young Democrats meeting, (5) went to a town hall meeting sponsored by State Representative Ellen Cohen, even if she had to stay in Austin to vote on budget issues, (5) went to Kira's terrific recital, (6) watched Hanszen's softball team almost win against the GSA, (7) filled and tied some water balloons and (8) went to Willy's Pub. And talked to and caught up with friends, it should go without saying.
  4. Having essentially free domestic calls on my cell phone is great, but something was up with Cingular today and my calls had a lot of trouble going through. Similarly, I got a number of voice mail messages without having had my phone ring. Cingular, get your act together. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home