Friday, February 16, 2007

Don't you love late-night Comedy Central?



My parents have the most excellent custom of recording episodes of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report on their DVR and then burning DVDs of them and sending them to me about every month, which means that I can enjoy them even without cable or a TV, watching them on my computer. On a recent DVD, I saw a Daily Show segment from November 27, 2006, called “No Meal Plan, No Cry.” It’s about a student, Aaron Akaberi, who converts to Rastafarianism and as part of that conversion, he demands a special diet from the university’s administration. The school, the State University of New York at Binghamton, did indeed provide foods that meet his standards, including a chef on call until 1 a.m. daily, but it wasn’t enough, and Akaberi has apparently filed a lawsuit to have the chef on call 24 hours per day.

The material was good and pretty standard fare for the Daily Show, but what caught my attention was the graphic used as correspondent Dan Bakkedahl introduced an interview with a columnist from the campus newspaper.
SUNY-Binghamton officials refused to speak to us, which was fine considering they were our “safety interview.”


The sequence started with the green Binghamton pennant, but it then was shrunk and moved to the bottom right corner of the screen, as pennants with the names of nineteen other schools appeared, cascading from the top left. Funny gag, but somehow what caught my eye was the ninth to appear: none other than Rice University!

Well how about that! If only they had left it on the screen a little longer so that more people could review the whole list!

Also, I hope everybody else notices that Stephen Colbert credits himself as "Dr. Stephen T. Colbert, D.F.A." Isn't he just great! I was going to buy a Colbert Report t-shirt, but then saw that they are $25! But I might buy one anyway.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home