Monday, September 25, 2006

First two weeks at site

The past week has been mostly taken up with my sitemate/roommate Leo's imminent departure, which wound up happening Sunday morning. But I've also been preoccupied with the lack of water. Or, rather, the lack of water coming through the tap. In general, we get water every other morning, and have a big tank in which to store it until it comes again. But after 4 days of no water, two residents and a houseguest bathing out of that source, the tank was empty by Wednesday morning. But this is the tail end of the rainy season, and so I decided to put some of that water to good use. So I was very proud of myself when I had filled the tank up about halfway after an hour's rainfall, even if I was pretty wet and cold.

After six days of no water, I finally heard the trickle coming back into the tank on Friday morning, and it was back on Sunday.

One of Leo's projects was out in a village that was about an hour and a half by foot out of San Manuel. I was ready for the hike, but was a bit taken aback with the real, live Indiana Jones-style bridge that awaited us to cross a river, complete (sic) with some missing boards.

But I made it across safely both ways, and from the other side there is a nice vista back over San Manuel. My house is one of the right-most ones in the photo, I think.

Then after five going away parties this week, Leo finally headed out on the 6:00 a.m. bus Sunday morning. And Sunday evening, as I came back to the empty house, there was a really nice sunset.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

the photos are really nice! I hope you have better luck with the water! :-/

3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home