Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Fun with standardized tests

So Kaplan (the test preparation company) handed out fliers at Rice's career fair Friday advertising a "free practice LSAT" at their Houston center yesterday. So I go, take the test, and get a 148, which is apparently about the 48th percentile. (I think this is the first time I've been in the 48th percentile of anything.)

Though I do feel compelled to point out that the flier told me to show up at 6 (I rolled in about 6:05) but when I got there, they told me the test had begun at 5:00! They said I must have remembered wrong, but, uh, no. (I pulled out the flier which clearly said "6:00" and I think they felt a little silly for having printed a flier with the wrong time.) Anyway, they told me to go ahead in and take whatever part of the test that was still left, so I wound up missing really all of sections 1 and 2, and taking 3, 4, and 5.

So, for having missed 40% of half the test, I guess 48th percentile isn't that bad--but ideally I wouldn't do quite that poorly on the real test. Or wait--maybe that's part of Kaplan's plan--to make us think that we are terrible and need to take their courses. What a strategy! Or should I say, strategery?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home