Thursday, July 28, 2005

Zong!

So at the convention of the College Democrats of America last weekend, a guy was talking about how to respond to negative attacks and, though it crossed the party boundary, was instructive.

John McCain was debating an opponent in an election for Congress. McCain had rather recently moved to the area, while the other guy was a businessman who had lived his whole life there. His opponent said something like, "This McCain guy has only lived here 3 years [or whatever it was], but I've lived right here in Arizona my whole life and run my business for 25 years . How can he possibly represent you? Elect someone who knows what the people of this district need."

And McCain came back with the devastating reply:

"Well, you're right in that I haven't lived here that long. When I was a kid, my dad was in the Navy, and we moved from place to place a lot. But I've been here 3 years now, and that's the longest I've ever lived in any one place, except of course the 5 1/2 years I spent in the North Vietnamese POW camp." (Emphasis mine.)

When the guy told it to me the other day, I thought to myself, "Oh no he didn't!" but apparently "Oh yes he did." McCain won the election.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home