Friday, June 10, 2005

Radio

I really like National Public Radio. Really.

There was a great story on Morning Edition about a new Bach aria discovered in the archives of a German library. Listening to the aria, I thought to myself, "This isn't so great--stuff from, say, the St. Matthew Passion, is a lot more interesting and tightly woven." But then I realized that he probably wrote it in about 10 minutes (it possibly only took as long to write it as it took him to physically put it on paper). So that means it's pretty good, I guess.

Here in Chapel Hill, WCHL broadcasts The O'Franken Factor (officially its name was changed to the Al Franken Show, but I like the old name better) weekday afternoons. I initially thought I wouldn't like listening to commercial radio (and its eponymous commercials)--and I don't--but it is a great show, and better, at times, than The State of Things and Talk of the Nation.

I find that the best thing it does is expose the many lies, distortions, and other misrepresentations put forth on a constant basis by conservatives and Republicans. Even if it does cut to ads every couple minutes.

In other news, the squirrels finally got to our bird feeder, and we found it on the ground below, having been lifted from where it was suspended. How they did that, we still don't know.

Ah, squirrels and Republicans.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Cabe said...

Typically Liberal. Hehehe.
You can't be a Federalist if you're a Liberal. You're for Big Government, big spending, judicial legislating, and so forth.

1:03 PM  
Blogger Ian said...

I'm interested in Federalism as it relates to the division of sovereignty between central governments and local or regional authorities. For example, I'm interested in the administrative and constitutional differences between, say, the U.S., Canada, and the European Union, all federations to some degree or another. Wikipedia has a good definition of Federalism as I understand and use it:

"Federalism is a system of government in which power is constitutionally divided between a central authority and constituent political units (like states or provinces). The two levels of government are interdependent, and share sovereignty."

You seem to be associating the term with a specific ideology and philosophy--again, a definition from Wikipedia:

"In contemporary usage, advocates of the principle of allowing greater regional autonomy within the United States — usually by allowing individual states to set their own agendas and determine the handling of issues, rather than trying to impose a 'national' solution. Usually federalism is proposed as a solution to issues that may have strong support in some parts of the country and strong opposition in other parts, for example: restrictions on abortion, gay marriage, euthanasia, medicinal use of cannabis, gun rights and restrictions on property rights."

Am I right about that?

My interest in federalism is not concerned with "Big Government, big spending, judicial legislating, and so forth," as you call it in your commment, but rather what level of government would or should exercise those powers. (That I think they should or should not be exercised I don't categorize as particularly federalist or non-federalist.)

1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home